kindness and the emmys

A few days ago the Emmy’s took place in California and I unfortunately didn’t get a chance to watch the awards ceremony. However, a few days later, I heard that during Aaron Paul’s (no relation!) acceptance speech, he praised his wife’s work in creating an organization that promotes kindness to other girls (to see Aaron’s wife, Lauren, talk about the Kind Campaign, scroll to the bottom of this blog!).

The word kindness, according to google, is the quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate. There have been many movements recently that have promoted the idea of paying kindness forward (like the movie Pay it Forward) as well as more recent acts of kindness with strangers paying for another person’s coffee at Starbucks. Yet, when I think of kindness and how this translates into the classroom, hallway, athletic field, musical stage etc, how do pre-teens/teens live this out? Furthermore, do we, as educators, teach/live/ model kindness to the degree that our students learn from our example?

photo courtesy of pinterest!
photo courtesy of pinterest!

We all have the same 24 hours, 1,440 minutes, and 86,400 seconds every day. What are are, we, you, I doing to LIVE kindness, not just say that we are kind to others? When I looked up the definition of kindness, it is listed as a noun; to be kind, we must be kindness. How this looks is different for every person, family, school, community, city, state, nation, but if we commit to being kind at least once a day, think of the potential ripple effect.